What kinds of things can you make with CBD isolate?
Virtually anything. You can make CBD lip balm, treats for your dog, CBD-infused honey, gummy bears, or even pain ointment.
What's the difference between CBD isolate and full-spectrum CBD?
CBD isolate and full-spectrum CBD have different phytochemical profiles, effective dosages, potential side effects, and flavour. CBD isolate is a highly refined single-compound form of CBD; it contains nothing but CBD. Conversely, full-spectrum CBD's phytochemical profile is as close to the original plant's as you can get and contains traces of cannabinoids, robust terpenes, flavonoids, and other compounds that work synergistically with CBD to boost its overall effects. As a result, studies show that CBD isolate is only effective at specific doses, whereas the more full-spectrum CBD you use, the more effective it is. Studies also show that CBD isolate is more likely to cause adverse effects like nausea or dizziness than full-spectrum CBD. Lastly, because it contains a single compound, CBD isolate is flavourless, whereas the other compounds in full-spectrum CBD give it an earthy flavour.
Who is CBD isolate good for?
We recommend CBD isolate if you:
● Are ensitive to THC, although the amounts found in full-spectrum CBD are minute (<0.3% THC) and unlikely to cause any intoxication
● Get drug tested for THC
● Absolutely cannot tolerate the taste of full-spectrum CBD
● Prefer using large amounts of CBD
CBD isolate made its way into the cannabis market with somewhat of an… anticlimax. Originally, CBD isolate (and THC isolate) paved the way for highly accurate pharmaceutical cannabis formulations. For example, cannabinoid isolates make it possible for companies like GW Pharmaceuticals to manufacture products like Sativex. Essentially, it allows for very exact formulations with specific cannabinoid ratios.
While CBD isolate doesn’t necessarily pack the punch that full-spectrum CBD delivers, it is still a powerful plant-based therapeutic and a perfect base ingredient for making DIY CBD products. It’s also much more versatile than using ready-made CBD products as it gives you complete freedom when it comes to the concentration of your homemade product.
So — basically — yes, there are 101 things you can do with CBD isolate. Naturally, there isn’t enough space in this article to cover them all. But here are 5 fun and practical DIY CBD products you can use every day, made with CBD isolate.
The benefits of CBD isolate.
Full-spectrum CBD, the whole plant form of CBD that includes trace amounts of all the other cannabinoids, terpenes, and other compounds found in the cannabis plant, has gained significant attention for its potential to enhance overall well-being, especially sleep and anxiety. Meanwhile, CBD isolate received a lot less attention because, well, full-spectrum CBD just sounds so much more superior, doesn't it?
While full-spectrum CBD does enjoy the advantage of the entourage effect, the theory that the many compounds found within the cannabis plant work synergistically to deliver their effects, CBD isolate is still a potent plant medicine on its own.
You see, CBD lightly touches and enhances many pathways in the body, including the endocannabinoid system (ECS), our master regulatory system. This little-known system is in charge of making sure that all our other systems are balanced and functioning optimally. It also enhances mood by activating serotonin receptors and improves memory and cognitive function by increasing BDNF (brain-derived neurotrophic factor) production, especially in the hippocampus.
It's been studied to balance cortisol levels and to combat the effects of stress and its manifestations (anxiety, depression, burnout, fear).
Let's delve into the multifaceted benefits of CBD isolate, encompassing stress regulation, cortisol reduction, cognitive health, topical applications, and its role in pet wellness.
1. CBD regulates the stress response and enhances ECS function.
CBD is renowned for its interaction with the endocannabinoid system (ECS), a crucial regulatory system in the body. It helps maintain homeostasis and can play a pivotal role in stress management. By influencing the ECS, CBD regulates the stress response, which may result in a sense of calm and balance during challenging situations.
2. CBD reduces cortisol levels.
Cortisol, often referred to as the "stress hormone," can have adverse effects on the body when elevated for prolonged periods. CBD has shown the potential to reduce cortisol levels, aiding in stress reduction and promoting a more relaxed state of mind.
3. CBD improves brain function and long-term brain health.
The brain significantly benefits from CBD isolate, offering a spectrum of positive effects:
- Activation of Serotonin: CBD interacts with serotonin receptors, improving mood and emotional well-being.
- Stimulating BDNF Production: Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor (BDNF) is essential for brain health, growth, and resilience. CBD stimulates BDNF production, promoting neuronal growth and repair.
- Enhancing GABA Function: GABA is an inhibitory neurotransmitter that helps regulate brain activity. CBD can enhance GABA function, leading to a calming effect.
- Promoting Neurogenesis and Neuroplasticity in the Hippocampus: The hippocampus is responsible for memory and learning. CBD supports neurogenesis (the creation of new brain cells) and neuroplasticity, which is crucial for adaptability and resilience.
- Reducing Activity in the Amygdala: The amygdala plays a key role in processing fear and anxiety. CBD reduces activity in the amygdala, contributing to lower stress and fear responses.
4. CBD's topical benefits.
CBD's advantages extend beyond internal use. Topical applications of CBD isolate have gained popularity for their potential in:
- Pain Relief: CBD can alleviate localized pain and inflammation when applied topically.
- Skin Health: CBD may help manage skin conditions like acne, eczema, and psoriasis.
- Muscle Recovery: Athletes and fitness enthusiasts often use CBD topicals for post-workout recovery.
5. CBD's benefits for pets.
CBD isn't exclusive to human wellness. CBD products tailored for pets have gained recognition for their potential to address a range of issues in animals, including:
- Anxiety and Stress: CBD can help pets manage anxiety and stress-related behaviors.
- Pain Management: CBD may alleviate pain and discomfort in pets, especially in older animals or those with chronic conditions.
- Overall Well-Being: CBD can contribute to improved quality of life for pets by promoting balance and vitality.
Incorporating CBD isolate into DIY products can be a versatile way to unlock these benefits and harness the power of CBD for a more balanced and healthier lifestyle. Whether it's for stress management, cognitive health, topical applications, or pet wellness, CBD isolate offers a wide array of advantages that can be tailored to individual needs.
1. CBD-infused lip balm.
Whether you get sore, dry, and cracked lips, or whether you just want something indulgent to use throughout Spring and Summer, this all-natural CBD-infused lip balm should get your lips smacking.
Aside from being way cheaper to make than to buy in stores, you can also make this lip balm in batches — which means you can give them away as gifts.
This is the kind of lip balm that goes into cute little containers that you use with your finger. It’s harder to find the stick type (unless you buy them wholesale). It’s much easier to find little lip balm containers in home stores, cosmetic stores, or even the pharmacy.
This recipe makes roughly 15 tiny lip balm containers.
What you’ll need to make CBD-infused lip balm:
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon beeswax
- 2 tablespoons shea butter
- 5 - 10 drops essential oil of your choice (for flavor and scent)
- 10 - 20 drops of CBD isolate oil
- Lip balm containers
- A pipette
How to make CBD-infused lip balm:
- Prepare Your Work Area: Ensure you have a clean and organized workspace. Lay out all the ingredients and equipment you'll need.
- Melt the Solid Ingredients: In a microwave-safe bowl or a double boiler, melt the coconut oil, beeswax, and shea butter together. If using a microwave, heat the mixture in 20-30 second intervals, stirring in between, until fully melted. If using a double boiler, place the bowl over simmering water and stir until melted.
- Add Essential Oil: Once the mixture is melted and well combined, add a few drops of essential oil for flavor and scent. You can use essential oils like lavender, peppermint, or citrus for a pleasant aroma. Stir to evenly distribute the essential oil.
- Incorporate CBD Isolate: Using the pipette, add 10-20 drops of CBD isolate oil to the melted mixture. The number of drops depends on your desired CBD concentration. Start with 10 drops and adjust according to your preference. Stir thoroughly to ensure even distribution of the CBD.
- Pour into Lip Balm Containers: Carefully pour the liquid mixture into the lip balm containers. Fill them almost to the top but leave a little space to allow for settling. If you have excess liquid, you can use it for a second batch or store it in a separate container.
- Cool and Set: Let the lip balm cool and set at room temperature for a few hours, or you can place them in the refrigerator for faster solidification.
- Label and Store: Once the lip balm is completely set, label the containers with the ingredients used and the CBD concentration. Store your CBD-infused lip balm in a cool, dry place.
You now have your homemade CBD-infused lip balm! Apply it to your lips whenever you need some CBD-infused lip care. Enjoy the benefits of CBD while keeping your lips moisturized and protected.
2. CBD-infused honey.
This is one of the coolest and easiest recipes in the world. If you love to put a teaspoon of honey in your tea or spread it on toast, CBD-infused honey is the easiest way to get a daily dose.
Did we mention that it’s really easy?
It’s so easy that if you want to add some complexities, it’s still easy. For example, you can add rose petals or lavender to this honey to give it an extra level of artistry.
For plain CBD-infused honey:
To make CBD-infused honey, create a double boiler. As the honey warms and melts, add your chosen amount of CBD isolate and mix until it is completely dissolved. Then put your honey back in the jar and let it cool!
For CBD-infused honey that's a little *extra*:
If you want to add lavender or rose petals, use the following method:
- Add one jar of honey to a double boiler.
- When it melts, add 2 - 4 tablespoons of your chosen flower (or half of each).
- Allow to simmer on low heat in the double boiler for up to 2 hours.
- Strain your mixture and press the flowers to release all of the honey.
- While your mixture is still hot, add your desired amount of CBD isolate and stir until it is completely dissolved.
- Allow your honey to cool.
3. CBD-infused dog treats.
If it wasn’t already fun enough making CBD-infused treats for humans, it will be extra fun making them for your furry companion.
Remember — animals are much more sensitive to CBD than humans, given their tiny bodies and high-functioning endocannabinoid systems. So measurements and dosing are really important for this recipe.
You'll need one bottle of Isolate, My Supply Co.'s clinical-grade CBD isolate oil, for the recipe below.
But first, dissolve your CBD isolate in coconut oil:
To make things easier, you should first dissolve your CBD isolate in coconut oil. Here’s the method:
- Measure 8 tablespoons of coconut oil.
- Using a double boiler, melt the coconut oil until it is a liquid.
- Add 1,500mg (1.5g) of CBD isolate to your melted coconut oil and stir until it is completely dissolved.
- Remove from heat and store your CBD-infused coconut oil in a clean, sterilized container.
Now - for making the dog treats, you’re only going to need 1 tablespoon of your CBD-infused coconut oil. That means each batch of dog treats contains 187.5mg of CBD. This recipe makes a total of 15 treats. Each treat contains 12.5mg of CBD.
Serves: 15 treats
Dose: 12.5mg of CBD isolate per treat
What you’ll need to make CBD-infused dog treats:
- 1 tablespoon CBD-infused coconut oil (that you prepared earlier)
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- ¼ cup peanut butter
How to make CBD-infused dog treats:
- Preheat your oven to 160℃ (325 ℉).
- Put your oats in a food processer and pulse until it has a light, powdery texture. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix together the mashed banana, peanut butter, and CBD-infused coconut oil.
- Stir in your oat flour and knead until you have a soft dough.
- Lightly dust a surface with flour and using your hands, make a ¼ inch thick circle with your dough
- Using a 2 inch cookie cutter, cut your dough into 15, 2 inch treats.
- Put on a tray and bake in the oven for 20 - 25 minutes or until golden.
Every time your furry companion needs a little bit of extra support, you can gift them with one of your homemade CBD-infused dog treats.
4. CBD-infused gummy bears.
Everybody wants to learn to make a CBD-infused treat that isn’t brownies, right? And again, this recipe only requires half a gram of CBD isolate, so you’ll still have half a gram left for other DIY endeavours.
CBD-infused gummy bears are a fun way to get CBD into your body, and of course, they’re heaps of fun to make. You have complete freedom over your flavour and colour choices. And of course, you’ll also have the ultimate say when it comes to the CBD dose.
This recipe makes a total of 50 gummies, each with 30mg of CBD isolate. You can scale this up or down, depending on how powerful you want them to be. To calculate a suitable CBD dose, you simply have to divide the total amount of CBD isolate used in the recipe by 50. If you decide to use 1,000mg CBD isolate, each gummy will contain 20mg. If you decide to use 3,000mg CBD isolate, you’ll end up with gummies that each contain 60mg CBD. If you decide to use 250mg CBD isolate, each gummy will contain 5mg of CBD.
What you’ll need to make CBD-infused gummy bears:
- 1,500mg CBD isolate
- A gummy bear mold
- ½ cup pureed fruit of your choice
- ½ cup distilled water
- 8 teaspoons unflavoured gelatin
- A pipette
How to make CBD-infused gummy bears:
- If you haven’t done it already, puree the fruit you wish to use in a food processor or with an immersion blender until it’s completely smooth.
- Pour water into a small saucepan and place it on the stove without heat. Sprinkle the gelatin evenly over the water and set aside for 2 minutes. Do not mix, stir, or apply heat.
- After 2 minutes, start stirring the gelatin mixture. It will be very thick at this stage. Turn the stove on to low-medium heat.
- Continue stirring until the mixture has become liquefied.
- Pour liquefied gelatin mixture into your pureed fruit and mix well.
- Add CBD isolate and continue mixing until everything is well integrated.
- Working fast, use a pipette to fill your gummy molds.
- Place them in the refrigerator for 30 minutes
Don’t forget that the total number of gummies you yield divided by the amount of CBD isolate you used is your dose per gummy. Enjoy the taste of home-made, CBD goodness.
5. CBD-infused pain ointment.
Of all the cool things you can do with CBD isolate, this recipe is the most elaborate. This recipe doesn’t just rely on CBD as the analgesic component of this pain ointment. It also includes ginger essential oil and St John’s Wort infused oil — which are all easy enough to acquire online.
Ideally, this CBD-infused pain ointment would be used to treat neuralgia-style pain. Whether it’s neck, back, sciatic, or even arthritis-related, this pain ointment may relieve symptoms and provide some relief.
This recipe makes one 125-150 mL jar of ointment.
What you’ll need to make CBD pain ointment:
- 1,500mg CBD isolate
- 28g beeswax
- 115 g St John’s Wort-infused oil
- 10 - 20 drops ginger essential oil (depending on the potency and heat you want to achieve)
How to make CBD pain ointment:
- In a double boiler, melt your beeswax until it is a liquid.
- Add the St John’s Wort-infused oil into your melted beeswax and stir until it is completely mixed.
- Add CBD isolate and stir until it is completely integrated.
- Remove your mixture from the double boiler and allow it to cool for 3-5 minutes.
- Once the mixture has cooled but is still a liquid, add ginger essential oil. Stir until combined.
- Pour the mixture into jars.
You can apply this salve to any part of the body experiencing nerve pain. Because this is a salve, it isn’t suitable to use on burns or open wounds. It should just be used on healthy skin, where the pain is nerve or muscle related.
If CBD isolate didn’t seem like a useful thing to have in your medicine cabinet before, we bet that now it does. With 1 gram of CBD isolate, you can make multiple different CBD products that would otherwise have cost an arm and a leg to purchase separately. On top of that, you can become an aficionado at making some of your own herbal medicines at home.
We hope you enjoyed making some of these CBD isolate products. Which did you like the best, and what other products have you made with CBD isolate? Let us know in the comments!
What are some other things I can make with CBD isolate?
If you're looking for other fun and easy ways to add an extra layer of health to your life, here's a list of ideas and recipes from the My Supply Co. Journal:
- 3 CBD Tisane Recipes For Soothing Your Anxiety
- How to Make Cannabis-Infused Spiced Milk
- 3 Fun Cannabis Recipes to Whip Up on Halloween
- 5 Cannabis Drink Recipes To Warm You This Winter
- How To Make The Perfect Cannabutter
- 2 Green Cannabis Cocktails To Sip On St. Patrick's Day
Shop CBD oils.
UP TO 30% OFF
CBD Sleep Solution
Sleep + Brain Health + Stress Support
UP TO 37% OFF
CBN Sleep Solution (Melatonin-Free)
Relaxation + Relief + Recovery
UP TO 30% OFF
Full Spectrum | CBD Oil
Balance Everything. Daily Stress, Anxiety, & Depression Management
UP TO 30% OFF
Isolate | CBD Oil
Energy, Mood, Focus