Frequently Asked Questions
What are the benefits of CBD?
CBD is studied to:
- Regulate hormone production and establish homeostasis, or balance, that supports stress, sleep, recovery, mood and immunity by enhancing endocannabinoid system tone.
- Confer an anxiolytic (anxiety relieving) and anti-depressant effect by activating serotonin receptors.
- Relieving pain by activating TRPV ion channels, namely TRPV1.
- Regulating the body's stress and inflammatory response by regulating the HPA Axis and reducing cortisol levels.
- Promote neurogenesis in the hippocampus, a brain region involved in learning and the formation, organization, and storage of new memories.
What are the benefits of CBD edibles?
CBD edibles promote a positive sense of calm and well-being that is markedly different from THC edibles. Instead of a psychotropic "high," CBD edibles brighten mood and bring a calming energy. CBD edibles also have the advantage of being long-lasting, bringing calming energy and brightening mood for hours.
CBD edibles are easy to use, don't risk lung irritation, are discreet, have minimal side effects (if any), and are 100% natural and non-intoxicating.
CBD edibles vs. oils—which is better?
CBD oils are superior to edibles in two ways:
- Predictable onset and dosing. CBD Tinctures take 15–30 minutes to take effect, whereas edibles take up to 1 hour.
- Greater bioavailability. When consumed sublingually, CBD is said to have a bioavailability rate of between 13-19%. On the other hand, oral consumption of CBD has a lower bioavailability rate, which one study showed can be as low as 6%.
Because CBD oil is dropped under the tongue where it is absorbed rapidly into the bloodstream through capillaries, it typically takes 15-30 minutes for its effects to be felt. That also means that more CBD is absorbed directly into the bloodstream.
What are CBD edibles best used for?
Most people use CBD edibles for their calming and mood-brightening powers. But these products also have specific uses, including:
- reducing pain and inflammation,
- reducing anxiety, and
- developing healthier, natural sleep cycles,
CBD edibles and gummies can also be used to moderate the psychoactive effects of THC, which some people find uncomfortable.
Can I use CBD edibles for pain?
CBD is an excellent pain-management tool, providing relief for a range of chronic pain and inflammatory conditions.
By interacting with key molecular targets, such as the Endocannabinoid System and TRPV receptors, CBD promotes chemical signaling that activates your cells for quick response, creating an anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving effect that helps manage pain, including:
- cancer (pain, vomiting, lack of appetite),
- neuropathic pain,
- fibromyalgia symptoms, and
- arthritis pain and swelling,
However, edibles typically take the longest to take affect and the lowest bioavailability (6%) compared to sublingual tinctures/oil drops (20%+), vaporizers (30%+), flower (40%+), and intranasal sprays (45%+). If you need immediate pain relief, we'd recommend oil drops, vaporizers, or flower.
Are CBD edibles good for sleep?
Yes. Due to its role in establishing homeostasis, or balance, CBD acts as a potent and effective intervention for underlying issues that prevent a healthy sleep-wake cycle, from stress, anxiety, PTSD, and mental health complications to chronic pain and inflammation.
However, timing is key. Because the effects of CBD edibles kick in more slowly than other options (such as using a CBD vape pen), make sure to have your CBD edible 60 minutes prior to going to bed.
Are CBD edibles good for anxiety and stress?
Yes. CBD is studied to exert anxiolytic and anti-depressant effects by:
- acting on serotonin (5-HT1A) receptors to brighten mood,
- toning the ECS to establish homeostasis, or balance,
- regulating the HPA Axis and body's stress (fight or flight) response,
- promoting neurogenesis in the hippocampus, the brain region responsible for memory.
Does CBD help sexually?
After the brain, there are more Endocannabinoid System receptors in the female reproductive system than any other system, and there is increasing evidence it is strongly implicated in female fertility and hormonal health.
In addition, some research suggests CBD products may improve libido by reducing anxiety, including performance anxiety, as well as trauma- and pain-related concerns. Other research suggests it can enhance sensation and promote blood flow.
What are the side effects of CBD?
Though it's often well-tolerated, CBD can cause side effects, such as dry mouth, diarrhea, reduced appetite, drowsiness and fatigue. CBD can also interact with other medications you're taking, such as blood thinners.